Saturday, August 19, 2006

I'm off to my first job...

...photography job, that is.
A girl at work is throwing a big party for her son's first birthday. She invited everyone at work, and told me that if I was going to go, she'd ask me to take pictures. We decided on a price, and I'll probably be there from 5pm - 8pm.
I'm sure you've guessed that I'm going not for the party, but for the opportunity to "be a photographer" and get paid for it. :)
I don't think I'll ever consider myself a true photographer until I can quit my day job, and do what I like full-time.
What I love about pursuing this, is that I can do it no matter where we end up living and also choose how much time I spend doing it.
Anyway, I won't go on about this...even though I could go on for a very long time. :)

7 comments:

ColoMeli said...

Great!

Elizabeth said...

I didn't end up taking as many pictures as I thought, but I'm pretty happy with them.

ColoMeli said...

I was just going to ask how it went. Was your client happy with them?

Elizabeth said...

I don't know yet. This is the deal: she had an Elmo theme and had rented an "Elmo" suit to have "Elmo" appear during the party. She said that if I went, she would like for me to take pictures of the different kids with Elmo so that she could send a picture back to the parents with the "thank you" note. Well, Elmo did make an appearance, but was around for a whole five minutes. In that time, I asked Susy (my co-worker) if we'd be taking the pictures right then or later. She said later. Well, before I knew it, Elmo was gone and people started to leave.
I told Susy that since I didn't take as many pictures as I expected, I'd charge less. I'm hoping that I got enough pictures of the kids playing and of guests in general, that it'll still be enough to send pictures with her "thank you" notes.
I was able to get one printed yesterday and framed it for a birthday present from me for her kid. :)

Elizabeth said...

Actually, I was thinking last night--doesn't happen often--and I realized that I actually had done two other jobs for my supervisor. Last fall I took her family pictures and pictures of her daughter in band. So, this was my first photography job at a party, but really my third job. :)
But, like I was telling Chris, taking pictures for my supervisor was like having a relative ask you to take pictures. She thinks I'm the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to taking pictures.

ColoMeli said...

I don't know--sliced bread is a pretty good thing. I'll have to think about that one. I'll get back to you. :-)

Elizabeth said...

Sure, I'll put some one from the party. I hadn't thought of that, really.
I like rolls better than sliced bread myself.