Sunday, August 27, 2006

My frist Liberian wedding

Talk about a cultural experience! It started with the wedding beginning over one hour late. The groom's parents were lost, and when somebody was sent out to find them, that person got lost so they had to send a second person out. :)

This first picture is of the groom singing to the bride as she walked down the aisle. (If you click on the picture you'll get a bigger version.)


I think the best part of the wedding was when the mother of the bride said, "Speak up!!" (insert Liberian accent) when the bride failed to say "I do" loud enough. I guess the mom figured that if they went through all this to get the daughter married, mom wanted to make sure she heard her say the words. :)

I was sitting in the front pew, so all my pictures are of the very front. I was in the front, by the piano, because another girl from the church and I got asked to sing in the wedding two days before. The soloist couldn't make it, so this 12-year-old got asked first, when she declined they asked me. I then asked the girl if she wanted to sing with me (which we've done in church before) and she said yes. It was only the first verse of "Abba, Father".


The ring bearer and flower girl sat on the steps ("Hmm, I wonder where they got that idea from?" ;) I thought that it was cute that the ring bearer had to lean way forward to look at the little girl. I think he wasn't paying attention when she came down the aisle and had to see who was there.




I thought he looked a little bored here. :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Singing was fine. Not a hard song.
I don't think I have the mothers in any pictures, but I'll look again. Yes, the maid of honor wore cream--I don't know if that's their tradition, but I thought it was weird.
I don't know if the groom singing is a tradition either--I've heard other people doing that.
I think there were just two or three women carrying her--she isn't very big (not like most of the women in the pictures.) :)
My supervisor asked me if their butts were really that big or did the dresses have padding! :)

Elizabeth said...

Yeah, she has a twisted sense of humor, too.